Saturday 9 February 2013

Going Local

With the recent horse meat scandal, I have made the decision to go local and shop from the local butcher.  I think its only a matter of time before supermarket meat is called into question.

I don't have a problem with eating horse meat.  I eat cows, pigs, geese, ducks and iccle baby sheep so why not a horse?  I've eaten goat in Greece and it was delicious.  No doubt I've eaten horse now and I can't say I noticed a bad taste.

I do have a problem with labelling not being accurate.

And I have a major problem with food which may not be of a standard to enter the food chain being sold.  The latest scare is that the horse meat used contains anti inflamatories.  I dont want to feed that to my children.

So I'm buying local now.  I'll also shun the supermarket for fruit and vegetables by buying at the greengrocers.  I'll have to use the supermarket for some branded goods such as baby milk, nappies and lactofree products but I will keep my spend there to a minimum and trust my local shopkeepers to feed my family

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...