Meat and Potato Pie is an easy left over dish to make. If you're not Gluten Intolerant then this is a cheap recipe. If you are and are rubbish at making Gluten Free pastry like myself, then buying the ready made DS Gluten Free Shortcrust Pastry (other gluten free products are available!) from the Freezer Aisle does unfortunately push up the price.
So once you've had Gluten Free Hot Pot for an evening meal, save the leftovers and make this, like this...
1. Defrost the pastry (or make your own) and roll out to a dinner plate size
2. Warm the plate in the oven. I find this makes the pastry cook better and a little crisper
3. Grease the plate - use a brush or a spray unless you have fireproof hands.
4. Place the pastry on the plate and cut round, not to close, you need enough to crimp together to seal the pie
5. Fill the pie with the left over hot pot (you'll be surprised at how little you need! Freeze the rest if there's any left over)
6. Now do a gravy check. You need a little but not a lot otherwise the pastry on the bottom will not cook. Add a little if you think it needs it
7. Roll out the other half of the pastry and cover the pie. Again, roughly cut round and crimp the edges together using a fork.
8. Prick the top of the pie to let the steam escape
9. Glaze the top with lactofree milk or cream if you are dairy intolerant
10. Cook until looking golden.
Check the bottom by sliding in a knife between the pie and the plate. If the pastry is cooked the pie is done, if not it needs to go in a little longer.
Serve with Peas and a little extra gravy if you are a fan of "wet" food, like my boys
Voila - a Meal for the price of pastry!
There are no affiliate links in this post and I have not been compensated to mention DS and Lactofree products. They are just what I use and I find them the best alternative at present if you have intolerances.